Seeing His Eyes | Photography by Faith Teasley

September 21, 2016

“At my 39 week appointment, I was told I was 2 cm dilated and our baby boy was sitting very low. My doctor predicted I wouldn’t make it to the weekend, let alone my due date. I came home and packed our hospital bag, got a pedicure with my mom and began thinking of how our lives were about to change. The days creeped by slowly and every little ache or pain made me wonder if I was going into labor. As my due date approached, with no sign of baby or even early labor, I began to feel sad. Somehow the days were even longer now than they were before as we desperately wanted to meet our son. Since we declined any procedures to try and speed up the process of going into labor on our due date, we had to schedule an induction for 10 days following our due date.

We both prayed and longed for a healthy baby and safe delivery, but deep down we also wanted the whole process to happen as naturally as possible. Two days before the induction, we were at peace with the fact we would likely be waking up in 48 hours and driving to the hospital. We told our families to plan to be nearby on our induction date and we began to feel excited again knowing he would be here soon. That afternoon, we began our third daily walk when I started to feel some (what I thought were) cramps. We decided to turn around and by the time we stepped foot inside our door, active labor was in full force. I showered, used a birthing ball, and got myself ready to head to the hospital as the contractions came on strong within the hour. When we arrived, I was already 6 cm dilated our son was sitting very low. Despite the intense pain, my husband and I both cried tears of joy. 12 hours later, our sweet Henry was in our arms. 

I spent most of my pregnancy focusing on labor and delivery, but looking back on the whole experience, I’d say the weeks following delivery were the most challenging. From the sleep deprivation to breastfeeding challenges, I was not prepared for the emotional roller coaster that followed having a baby. I assumed breastfeeding would come easily and naturally when in reality that isn’t always the case. Learning to work through those struggles while realizing a lot of the emotions were a result of crazy hormones was tough the first few weeks. At the end of the day, life with a newborn is exhausting but also incredibly rewarding. Seeing Henry’s bright eyes every morning and watching him grow day by day has filled our hearts with so much joy and I wouldn’t trade one bit of this experience for anything in the world.”  Melissa, Mother

FAITH TEASLEY PHOTOGRAPHYContax 645, 80mm f/2 lens. Portra 400 & 800 film, Nikon D700, 35mm f/1.4 lens.

Additional Vendors:  Film Processed By: Indie Film Lab

  1. Faith says:

    Love this sweet family!! Thank you for the beautiful feature, Fount Collective!! xoxo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


engage in COMMUNITY


find your way around







contact us